Application Deadline: January 6, 2022
The Global Undergraduate Exchange Program (Global UGRAD) provides a diverse group of emerging student leaders with a scholarship for one semester of non-degree academic study at a U.S. college or university. Global UGRAD is a program of the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs of the United States Department of State, and aims to recruit participants from underrepresented backgrounds, who have not had other opportunities to study in the United States. Successful applicants can expect an in-depth exposure to U.S. society, culture, and academic institutions, as well as opportunities to enhance their professional skills.
- All participants will be enrolled in full-time, non-degree, undergraduate coursework chosen from their host institution’s existing curriculum.
- Participants are required to enroll in at least two courses in their major and at least one course in a U.S. Studies field, such as U.S. history, literature, arts and culture, or government to enhance their understanding of the United States .
- Participants will live in campus housing facilities with American peers
- Participants are required to participate in a minimum of 20 hours of community service activities during the program.
- There will also be a virtual arrival orientation and an in-person end-of-program workshop. Grant benefits include international travel, tuition, room and board, accident/sickness insurance, stipend and funds for books.
- All academic fields of study are eligible. Per J-1 visa regulations, interested applicants in medicine, nursing, dentistry, veterinary medicine, pharmacology or other clinical fields of study should be made aware that direct patient care, including animal care, is not permitted, and therefore academic coursework and/or program activities at participating U.S. institutions may be limited.
- Participants cannot choose their host campus and will be placed at the most appropriate host campus based on participants’ academic interests. The Global UGRAD Program includes a diverse roster of host campuses throughout the United States, including colleges and universities in rural and urban areas and Minority Serving Institutions. The 2022-2023 Global UGRAD participants will participate in either the fall or spring semester only.
- The Global UGRAD Program is a non-degree program. The Global UGRAD Program does not assist with credit transfers between participants’ host and home institutions. Any credit transfers are the sole responsibility of the participants. Please note that the Global UGRAD Program cannot guarantee the availability of specific courses to participants.
- Participants must adhere to the host campus code of conduct as well as the terms and conditions of the Global UGRAD Program.
- Participants must remain in good academic standing with a minimum 2.0 GPA. Failure to meet these requirements may result in dismissal from the Global UGRAD Program.
- To promote mutual understanding between people of the United States and other countries.
- Provide a fulfilling exchange experience to drive academic, cross-cultural, and leadership competencies for students from Global UGRAD countries.
- Enhance students’ academic knowledge and professional skills needed to pursue long-term academic and career goals.
- Cultivate students’ comprehensive and nuanced understanding of the U.S.
- Facilitate opportunities for students to establish social networks with U.S. host institutions and local communities.
- Empower students to engage constructively in the civic life of their local and global communities.
- Applicants must be a citizen of Malaysia.
- Applicants must be studying in Malaysia.
- Scholarships will be granted to students who currently are enrolled in full-time undergraduate programs only, having completed a minimum of their first semester of study. Participants must have at least one semester or an equivalent term to complete at their home institutions upon completion of the Global UGRAD Program.
- Applicants should demonstrate leadership potential through academic work, community involvement, and extracurricular activities.
- Applicants must achieve a minimum TOEFL score of 48 IBT.
- Preference will be given to those who have had little or NO experience in the United States or outside Malaysia.
- Applicants are required to return directly to Malaysia after the completion of the program
- Applicants are over 18 years of age.
Individuals in the following circumstances are not eligible for the Global UGRAD Program:
- U.S. citizens and permanent residents of the United States;
- Individuals currently studying, residing, or working outside of their home country;
- Anyone who has already graduated from university;
- Local employees of the U.S. missions abroad who work for the U.S. Department of State and/or the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID); employees are also ineligible for one year following the termination of employment;
- Immediate family members (i.e. spouses and children) of U.S. Department of State and USAID employees; family members are also ineligible for one year following the termination of employment;
- Current World Learning employees and their immediate family members.
While at their host institutions, participants explore core U.S. values and culture, share their own culture and unique perspectives in American classrooms, and strengthen their leadership and professional skills. Many participants create long lasting connections with Americans and leave the U.S. with a more nuanced understanding of their field of study, community service, and themselves.
Prospective applicants should request for academic transcripts and letters of recommendation as soon as possible and all required documents must be uploaded online prior to the deadline as applicants will not be able to access the online system after January 6, 2022.
Application period for the 2022-2023 Global Undergraduate Exchange Program is OPEN. Deadline for online application is January 6, 2022.
For application information and instructions, please visit the Global UGRAD online application
For additional more information:
For inquiries, please contact Kalis or Karen at 03-21668878 or email:日博电竞malaysia@macee.org.my